Monday, December 8, 2014

DIY Deer Art

Posted by Devin

I have been a long time admirer of Deer Art and wanting to find a way to add a few pieces to my home for quite some time. But whenever I would see something I liked, it was usually handmade and therefore a bit expensive (as handmade items should be, in my opinion). Although I love handmade goods, it's sometimes tough to fit them into my budget and I tend to tell myself "I'll take a shot at making my own some time." I'm not always in a "crafty mood" (a total blogger fail, I know), but this month I got the bug and I was ready to start some projects! And first on my list was creating my own deer artwork. I love it year-round, but it's super-fitting for Christmas time as well! Here are the two pieces I made. The larger pallet version is going to stay up all the time and I made the smaller plaid one more Christmas-y for holiday decor. 


Let's start with the Plaid Deer Art.

Supplies:

- Burlap canvas (I bought mine at Wal-Mart)
- Fabric scrap (I used plaid, but you can use whatever fabric you fancy!)
- Deer stencil (Click here to download the stencil and print on card stock)
- Scissors
- All-purpose spray adhesive
- Embroidery thread
- Sewing needle
- Fine point Sharpie


Directions:

Print the stencil on card stock and cut the deer head out.
Tape your fabric to a counter or table top to stabilize it while you trace your deer onto the fabric. I used a fine point sharpie to trace the deer.
Cut the deer shape out of the fabric. I used fabric scissors and a pair of very small, sharp grooming scissors that I bought for crafting with (weird, I know, but I haven't found anything that works better!) and used on the smaller, more detailed areas.
Lay out your cut-out fabric deer right-side down as smoothly as possible. You'll want to lay it down on a piece of cardboard or something you won't mind getting sprayed with the spray adhesive. Spray the back of the fabric cut-out with the spray adhesive.
Very carefully, pick up your fabric and place it on your burlap canvas right-side up. Smooth the fabric out and press to adhere to the canvas.
Take your needle and embroidery thread and make large stitches around the deer outline. Tie it off in the back when you are finished.


Doesn't it look great?!! I attached a little faux holly to mine with a bit of wire to make it more festive. And oh my goodness, if you could find a little mini-wreath to cut and wire in so it looked like it was draped around his neck... swoon!!! Love it! 


Now for the Pallet Deer Art.

Supplies:

- Mini pallet sign, mine is approximately 14"x17" (directions to make your own given here)
- Stencils (printed on two shipping labels, click here for the top and here for the bottom)
- 8 1/2'x11" Shipping labels
- White paint
- Sponge brush
- Scissors


Directions:

Print the top and bottom stencils out on the shipping labels and cut out.
Take the outer portions of the cut-outs and place them on the pallet sign. The two stencils will overlap to create a seamless stencil. 
Once you've lined it up and centered everything, remove the paper on the back and stick the stencils to the pallet sign. Don't forget the little stencil pieces up in the antlers! There are three of them.
Press all of the edges down well to keep paint from seeping underneath your stencil during painting.
Paint inside the stencil with the sponge brush. A few tips to prevent paint seepage: 1. Do not brush against the edges of the stencil. Instead brush from the outside in or simply dabble the paint instead of using longer strokes. 2. Do not put too much paint on your brush at one time.
Carefully remove the stencil shortly after you have finished painting. I don't like to wait too long to keep the paint from drying and wanting to peel away with the stencil when I remove it.


And that's it! I am so excited about this sign. It'll be up in my house all year long!


Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Get Your DIY On // Made By You Monday // Handmade Tuesdays // Creative Collection // Pink When // Fluster Buster //

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At December 8, 2014 at 7:17 AM , Blogger Becky M said...

Love this! You make it look so easy! I'm definitely saving this post for later!

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

 
At December 15, 2014 at 6:58 AM , Blogger Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I really like the burlap project!

 
At February 16, 2015 at 12:22 PM , Blogger elBee said...

The top piece of the deer looks like it's going to the whole version of the deer for the burlap project. I clicked on both places where it read "top" and it took me to the whole deer picture. The bottom half was fine.

 
At February 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Tara Carroll said...

Oops! So sorry about that! I just corrected it. Thanks for the heads up!

 
At December 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM , Anonymous amy said...

Thank you for this lovely idea. I have printed the template and created some canvas art today it looks great. Next im making a cushion.

 
At January 2, 2016 at 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I click "print top Part" it does not load. Any ideas?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home